Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson




I read the book, Fever 1793, for my book review and I loved it. I liked it because of it's unpredictable story, interesting theme, and it's exciting, rising plot.

This unpredictable book starts with Mattie Cook working lazily at the family coffee house with her strict mother, Eliza (the chef), and her kind-hearted grandfather. Then the story takes an exciting turn when yellow fever breaks out everywhere around Philadelphia. Mattie flees the city with her grandfather in fear of the spreading disease but only to go through pain, starvation, robbers, carcasses, and yellow eyes. Later in the story we find her wandering through the streets searching for old friends, food, and shelter from the boiling sun.

I think the theme of this book is experiencing a major, historical, and deadly epidemic. The main character went through living in a city haunted by the dead, the sick, and the orphans. In the book it says, "There could be no running from this. Hiding from this was not like hiding from mother when she wanted me to scrub kettles, or ignoring Silas when he begged for food. I was the only one left." This book has a really good way of describing how awful life was during the fever in 1793. The theme makes me really appreciate the fact that I wasn't there to see it all.

I really enjoyed this book because I never had a dull moment while I read it. Each chapter gets more addicting every minute. When I finished it, I was sad it was over. I recommend this book to people who get bored with most books because this story was better than watching a movie. I also recommend this book to people who like adventure and excitement.

Those are the reasons why I loved this book. It has an unpredictable story, interesting theme, and an exciting, rising plot. I hope you read and enjoy this book as much as I did.

I got my picture at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fever_1793.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment